To My Patients, Parents and Friends,
For all of us who work in whatever capacity, there comes a time when retirement from this endeavor seems appropriate. This decision is usually based on age or a desire to pursue other activities which require more time than has previously been available.
During this past year as a reached my 75th birthday, I have given this major decision in my life a great deal of attention. I began my orthodontic practice in July 1975, right here in Gainesville, and if there was ever a person who selected the perfect profession that has provided forty one years of total happiness and satisfaction; that person was me! The old adage that says, "pick a job that you love and you will never work a day in your life" is perfectly suited to my career as an orthodontist.
To all of you who have blessed me with yourself or your children and given me the opportunity to create smiles and enrich countless lives, I say thank you! Orthodontics has been a labor of love!
I have truly enjoyed my professional career. In addition to my years of private practice, I just completed 35 years of teaching orthodontics in our residency program at the University of Florida College of Dental Medicine. I completed a 20 year career in the US Navy as a Dental Officer and retired as a Captain in 1984. I have been fortunate to hold many important offices in our local, state and national dental and orthodontic organizations for many years during my career. But above all else, I have always strived to be the best orthodontist I could be.
In 2002 Dr. Dawn Martin and myself joined our practices which has been a wonderful decision for us both. I could not have found a better partner! Even though I will no longer be in the office on a regular basis, I plan to fill in from time to time for Dr. Martin and our wonderful associate, Dr. Lindsay VonMoss.
In closing, let me once again say how much I have enjoyed getting to know each and every one of you and what a privilege it has been to improve your health and happiness! Thanks! ~ Dr. J
Dr. Jacobson’s Education
- Bachelor of Arts in English – University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – Emory University School of Dentistry, Atlanta, GA
- Master of Science in orthodontics – Washington University School of Dentistry, St. Louis, MO
- Clinical assistant professor of orthodontics – University of Florida College of Dentistry, Gainesville, FL
Dr. Jacobson’s Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- Florida Association of Orthodontists
- Florida Dental Association
- Alachua County Dental Association
- Association of the United States Navy